Arthur Golding’s A Discourse vpon the Earthquake

I updated yesterday’s post, “Pamphlets on the Earthquake of 1580,” to include an EPUB version of Arthur Golding’s A Discourse vpon the Earthquake …. While you will be missing out if you don’t go back and read the whole post, if you just want the EPUB file, you can download it here.

As with Jan van der Noot’s tract on the plague, EPUB available here, I have created only an EPUB version. Some formatting is lost in the conversion process to a mobi (i.e., a Kindle) version. When I figure out how to solve that problem, I will post mobi versions too.

I continue to play with EPUBs as I think about what options they offer for readers and students. One version of van der Noot’s text includes a number of notes that readers can see if they click on the links. Some notes offer definitions of difficult words, other identify contemporary books mentioned in the text, still others explain unusual or unfamiliar terms and concepts. While helpful, such annotations are rather pedestrian and only just begin to enhance the reading experience. Now that the EPUB standard adds considerable support for HTML5 and CSS3, there are many interesting and interactive possibilities. Unfortunately, not all ereaders support all HTML5 options and the Kindle is woefully inadequate in this area.

Please send me any suggestions and ideas you might have about what would enhance your reading of early modern primary sources or how I could make them more effective/useful in classes: dhayton(at)haverford.edu.